For the uninitiated the term "Kaki" literally means "Leg" in the Malaysian Language or Bahasa Malaysia. Colloquially, Kaki-Golf, refers to a person who plays (in this case, love) Golf.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Do you need a range finder on the course?

My golf kaki, Kenny is an advocate for the range finder. Needless to say, he had a good chuckle when the GPS on the T1 hybrid watch did not function. 

A good range finder (we are talking about those from reputable companies, Bushnell, Nikon, Leupold etc) will usually cost upwards of RM900.00 and that's alot of dough. You could get a new driver or 2 wedges for that kind of money. So I am pretty put off by the price if I am being honest. Then again, the T1 hybrid watch retails for RM629.00 here at MST and that's quite pricey as well. The second issue was, size. I had never tried using a range finder before and was always of the impression that they were bulky and a hassle to use. But I was proven wrong.


I had time to fiddle with Kenny's Bushnell Tour v3, slope edition range finder and first impressions? For starters, it was much smaller that I expected. Fit nicely in the grip of my palm and compact enough to fit in my front pocket.


What about ease of use? You pretty much look into the view finder, take aim, press the button and the yardage will appear in a second or two. Simple.


On the course at Sungai Long (and in the absence of yardage figures from my watch) Kenny was very kind to assist. Distances to the hazards, lay ups and pin were literally a touch of a button away, so that was very convenient.  
 


All said and done though, you need ask yourself if you need a range finder and whether it will help your game. Well, you know me and training aids. More next!

No comments:

Post a Comment