For the uninitiated the term "Kaki" literally means "Leg" in the Malaysian Language or Bahasa Malaysia. Colloquially, Kaki-Golf, refers to a person who plays (in this case, love) Golf.

Monday, June 9, 2014

Golf is a funny game, that I love.

Just as I was saying how funky my game has gotten, I play my best round in two years and managed an 89 for the first time!

Prior to Saturday morning's tee-off I managed a 9 hole round last Tuesday during the Gawai holiday. Didn't play particular well then so I definitely wasn't expecting the play on Saturday. On reflection I noted a number of positives:-

i. Long game was more consistent and had better ball flight. Much less of an outside-in swing and drives were finding the fairway.
ii. Kept the ball in regulation. Over the last few weeks I was losing up to 8 balls per round and the penalty strokes definitely don't help the score or mental game. Lost 3 balls on Saturday. 1 from bad alignment, 1 lost in the rough after a pulled drive and the last from a fat shot which landed in the hazard.
iii. More greens in regulations. It's been a while since I hit more greens in regulation and it's nice to have the option of 2-putting for par.
iv. The wedge and putter were hot.  It helped that the wedge play was tuned and the putts fell too. Seems the back-yard practice has helped my short game around the green. Time to buy that chipping net people

The cons:-

i. Hitting fats shots. For some reason, my swing is bottoming out way too early and I am taking divots 2-3 inches behind the ball. Hopefully I can sort it out before our Golfing trip to Thailand.
ii. Outside-in swing. Still had a number of shots from left to right. I need to remember to come more from the inside on the downswing. Tuck in that elbow and keep my back closed to the target longer. 

Overall, I was pleased with my game, particularly the consistency which has been missing in my game for a longgg time. Though in the past, I have been able to play in the low 90's only to score in the 100s the following week, so we will see how we go this weekend.

Golf is a funny game, that I, really love.

No comments:

Post a Comment