For the uninitiated the term "Kaki" literally means "Leg" in the Malaysian Language or Bahasa Malaysia. Colloquially, Kaki-Golf, refers to a person who plays (in this case, love) Golf.

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Palm Garden Golf Club - We save the best for last

Palm Garden Golf Club ("PGGC") is touted as one of the best golf courses in Malaysia. But would it live up to its reputation? 



To be honest, I hadn't heard much about PGGC so I didn't have any expectations of what was in store. Although, if the green fees were any indication, we were in for a jolly good time.


In case the print is too small. The rates at PGGC are as follow:

Green fee for 18 holes : RM480.00 (Yowzaaa!)
Buddy twin share - RM110.00
Caddy twin share - RM80.00
Golf Insurance (compulsory) - RM5.00

Rates quoted are inclusive of GST.

Weekday green fees are much cheaper at RM280.00 for 18 holes of golf.

My first impressions were good. The club house looked new and had a modern design. It's when you step into the club house that you get a feel and appreciate the clever use of the space afforded.  

Using tiers and split levels allowed the PGGC to house several amenities including a driving range, swimming pool, cafe, pro shop, sauna, a ballroom and car park with ample parking. I particularly liked how it wasn't too far to walk from one place to the other. 




The reception area was carpeted, air conditioned and classy. It didn't take us long to register and it was off to the rest room next. At the risk of sounding cliche, the rest rooms were impressive. It was modern, spacious, very clean and had keyless lockers.

First time seeing a combination lock at a golf club. At least you don't have to worry about losing the locker key.

We were a 3 ball flight that hot and sunny afternoon and once settled into our buggies we were directed by our male caddies to the golf course. Before teeing off, we were each given a small bottle of mineral water which was nice. 




You could tell the course was well maintained. From the beautiful landscaping to the carefully manicured fairways, we were raring to go. Did I mention that it was 'buggy on course' too?

A water hazard way up in the hills with local feathered residents no less.



I can't say enough about the fairway conditions. It was a joy to hit from and I only wished that I found the fairway more often. 



The greens too were in very good shape. Green, consistently quick and receptive to spins (which was a joy to see for a social golfer). Bunkers too were nice and fluffy.

The course design too was a very good mix of flat / undulating terrain, elevated tee boxes and enough dog-legs and hazards to make it an interesting round of golf. Coupled with the landscaping, golfers were treated to lovely views throughout. 

Photo credit to Kenny, my kaki



It wasn't the most consistent of days (due to fatigue - watching the Maybank open in the early morning, golf in the afternoon etc) and so I blew a couple of holes but managed to redeem myself with a couple of pars in between. 




Perhaps the only bad part of our round was that it ended too soon. I can conclude no better then the last sentence from this excerpt off the PGGC website.

"...The Course is sand-capped and golfers will find there are lot of undulations, mounds and swales. A lot of natural boulders and rocks that were dug up were reused to add to the aesthetics of the design and it was worked out beautifully. When one plays here, they will feel that they are playing in another country."

Admittedly, I haven't played on many international courses (so I usually use Thailand as a benchmark) but I can honestly say, the PGCC is certainly up to par and ranks as a must play course in my books.

A goat shed next to the cafe at the club house, to commemorate the Chinese year of the goat.


And so, we move to the ratings.

Value : 5/5



It was a Saturday afternoon and my mate Kenny, was able to get me in on guest rates, so I paid RM195.00 (excluding caddy tips). Which I thought was crazy good value. 

Although, if I had to pay full rates, I would probably have chosen to play on a week day for starters. 

As mentioned, you do get a bottle of drinking water but for the full weekend green fee, I would expect some extra freebies. Perhaps more water, a face towel that kind of thing. But I am nitpicking really. 

Did I mention that the PGCC is probably the only course in Malaysia to allow a 6-ball flight

Staff : 4/5


The reception area was very inviting. The staff were quick and efficient so there was little waiting. I didn't notice any roving marshalls on the course, but traffic wasn't a problem. Our male Indonesian caddy was knowledgeable and hardworking. Didn't speak much english though, which wasn't an issue for us. 

Course Conditions : 5/5


I cannot say enough about the course conditions. The fairways were simply fantastic and the course was very well maintained all round. A kaki-golf first, but the PGCC gets a perfect score for allowing buggies on course. 

Aesthetics : 5/5


Beautiful well maintained landscaping and scenic views. Not much more I need to add.
 

Amenities : 4/5


It has everything a golfer would need. A nice club house, new modern changing rooms, well stocked pro-shop, a driving range and ample parking, just to name a few. Wish I had a chance to try out the food on offer at the drink hut or cafe though. 

Experience : 5/5



I am not getting paid for this review, honest. But it was truly an enjoyable experience playing at the PGCC and I would love to return again someday.

Whilst the weekend green fees may be discouraging, I would still say it's a 'must play at least once' course in my books. 

Total score: 28/30 

No comments:

Post a Comment