For the uninitiated the term "Kaki" literally means "Leg" in the Malaysian Language or Bahasa Malaysia. Colloquially, Kaki-Golf, refers to a person who plays (in this case, love) Golf.

Monday, July 14, 2014

Golfing in Thailand - Part 2 (St.Andrews 2000 - Links Golf in Pattaya)

Yikes. My apologies for the late posts. Have been traveling a fair bit (and not for golf unfortunately) and haven't had time to blog. Without further delay, here's Part 2.

"The St.Andrews2000 Golf Club in Rayong was designed by Desmond Muirhead in 2000. Located 120 Kilometers southeast of Bangkok and a short drive from the seaside resort of Pattaya, playing golf here during your visit to Thailand in a must. The sprawling par 74 course adjoins its sister layout, the older, well established par 72 layout of the Rayoung Green Valley Country Club.

It's not a typo-par is 74 for an astounding back marker length of 7700yards, thanks to two endlessly long Par 6. The couse both power and accuracy as the water hazards are strategically located. If your handicap is 18 or lower the course will be very challenging, with elevated tees and greens, split elevation fairways coupled with huge putting surfaces. Really a course for the true golfer."

From their course profile / introduction.

You read that right. Probably the only course in the region with 2 Par 6 holes.  



Taking its name after the home of Golf, St. Andrews 2000 by design is meant to resemble a 'links' type of golf course. Uneven fairways, good thick rough and plenty of elevation. It was certainly very different from any course I have ever played on. If it wasn't for the tropical weather, I might have thought we were teeing off in Scotland.


At the entrance of the club house. Plus points for the drink machine dispensing cold water and tea for visitors. A very nice touch


The clubhouse though slightly aged has a very quaint and welcoming feel.

Hole 1.


In spite of the few greens with small brown patches and a few shallow bunkers, the course is still very well maintained. Compared to the Siam Country Club the Old Course has better landscaping and excellent green conditions. I am nitpicking really.

Whilst having a sharp short game was crucial at the Old Course, I felt that St. Andrews 2000 was a test of your whole game as I navigated through the uneven fairways, thick rough, elevation and quick greens. You really had to think about your next shot and game plan. 


The 1st Par 6 hole. At a whopping 642 yards from the white tee, I made a big mistake in my approach to this hole. When I first formulated my plan, I thought I needed to go out there and play a monster combination of driver, 3 wood, 3 wood to get on the green in 3 or 4. I thought my 3-wood was hot after the round at the Siam Country club but I was wrong.

As a result I ended up with an unnecessary double bogey. My kaki (who took a more conservative approach) went, Driver, hybrid, hybrid, iron, got on in 4 and 2 putted for a nice par. Definitely a better option. 



There's also a Hole 19, a par 3 featuring an island green ala Hole 17 at TPC Sawgrass somewhere along the first 9, but by the time we were done with 18 holes, we were unable to go back due to time constraints and congested traffic on the course. TIP: Remind your caddy that you want to play hole 19 if you play on the course. 

All in all I enjoyed my round of golf at St. Andrews. It's one of a kind and a fun challenge indeed. So if you're golfing in Pattaya, St. Andrews 2000 along with Siam Country Club are definitely two must play clubs in my opinion.



Back at the Club house, the locker rooms though not as new or as grand as say Black Mountain, Hua Hin or the Siam Country Club, it was spacious and they had plenty of shower cubicles, lockers and attentive staff.


This time, I was assigned a more experienced caddy who had a better command of english and was very knowledgable. So that helped to contribute to a better score.


My Ratings:-

Course condition - 4/5

Course difficulty - 4/5

Caddy rating - 4/5

Club house facilities - 4/5 

16/20 - Play it!


We take on the old Thai Country Club in Bangkok in Part 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment