For the uninitiated the term "Kaki" literally means "Leg" in the Malaysian Language or Bahasa Malaysia. Colloquially, Kaki-Golf, refers to a person who plays (in this case, love) Golf.

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Golfing in Thailand - Part 3 (Thai Country Club - Bangkok)

I was starting to feel unwell by the second day and by the time we arrived in Bangkok, I had developed a bad case of the flu and cough. Probably a result of the lack of sleep the first two nights (usually have a hard time sleeping on hotel beds) and the day's exertion had taken its toll.

Anyways, I wasn't going to let the cough and flu get in the way of my golf holiday so we soldiered on.

The Thai Country Club is a private club, but our tour agency arranged a slot for us with a tee off time at 10.30 am. (earlier tee times reserved for members)



The Thai Country Club has played host to a number of Asian Tour events. Perhaps most notably was the 1997 Asian Honda Classic which was won by none other then Tiger Woods (who happens to be a honorary member). 


I usually like to check out the club house facilities and golf course by having a look at the course layout and I have to say, I was mighty impressed with their website and the detailed course layout and details here. Probably one of the best golf course website I have come across in a while.




The green fee we paid did not include the rental of a buggy so golfers can opt to walk the course instead, which is what we did. Our caddy would pull our bags on a trolley and we would take in the sights. 

We were told it was one of the more popular courses in Bangkok and judging from the number of golfers at the time, they weren't kidding.


The course itself is rather flat and even which makes for a nice course to walk on. Though the downside of a 10.30am tee off time is really the heat. There was a slight over cast when we reached the tee box, but the sky cleared and by noon, the mid day sun was shining bright.

Hole 1

Again, course conditions were immaculate and with plenty of water hazards and bunkers, it certainly made for a challenging round of golf. 

But the greens were something else. I can't remember the stimp reading but these greens were faster and much firmer then the Old Course, Siam Country Club. I was rather bewildered. Perhaps a single handicapper would fare better but I spent most of my time watching my ball roll way past the pin or bounce off the putting surface. Once on the green, I didn't have the right reads or judgment of speed and thus was averaging 2-3 putts.


During our second nine, I was really feeling the heat in spite of the voluminous amounts of liquids I was drinking. My mate noticing my condition suggested that I use my umbrella, which my caddy promptly took from the golf bag. I only ever use the umbrella on the course when it rains but my word, did it make a difference.

Speaking of caddies, unfortunately I was assigned yet another new caddy. Whilst she was attentive, and had good work ethic, her course knowledge and command of english was unfortunately sub-par.

Back at the club house, we took a long deserved rest before making our way into the locker rooms. While I was impressed with how new and modern the locker rooms were, it wasn't as spacious and the shower cubicles left much to be desired. For starters they were small and more importantly, there weren't enough shower cubicles to cater for the large number of golfers. Just to be sure, I asked one of the locker room staff and was told that these were the only shower cubicles available. Something I wouldn't expect from a club house of this standard. 

However, that said, we still had a great time (me less so due to my physical condition) and I am was very pleased to have had the opportunity to play on the course. 

Onto the ratings.

My Ratings:-

Course condition - 5/5

Course difficulty - 5/5

Caddy rating - 3/5

Club house facilities - 3/5 

16/20 - Play it!

And so ends our golfing holiday to Thailand and what a trip it was. My second trip so far and already have Chiang Mai lined up for our next trip. 

In other news, The Open starts today and a certain Mr. Tiger Woods will be in action. Can Phil retain the Claret Jug? he played well in Aberdeen, but  the spotlight now shines brightly on the man of the hour Justin Rose. 2 back to back wins and in fine form. Can he make it 3? 

2 comments:

  1. It was really nice to read article written on this blog. I would also like to add few techniques with best of my knowledge which can help reader more and more.
    คลิปฟุตบอล

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading this blog, I would like to demand more articles again and again. I am feeling myself as satisfy by got to know these all such information which never came to my knowledge. Please writer more.เล่นเกมสล็อตออนไลน์ฟรี

    ReplyDelete