For the uninitiated the term "Kaki" literally means "Leg" in the Malaysian Language or Bahasa Malaysia. Colloquially, Kaki-Golf, refers to a person who plays (in this case, love) Golf.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

SEDC CHAIRMAN'S CUP - It's go time!

Photo credits : Damai Golf and Country Club

A couple of weeks ago, a kaki of ours, Edwin asked if we would be keen to join the SEDC Chairman's Cup tournament at the Damai Golf and Country Club on 18.10.2014. We thought it would be fun to join as a group and so we did. 

Handicap cut off was 24 and there were plenty of prizes up for grabs. Playing below 96 couldn't be that hard, or so I thought. 

After my last golfing trip in KL, my game was starting to get consistent and I was particularly pleased with how I was striking the ball. Much less fat shots and the swing felt good. I was playing confidently and managed to shoot below 96 consistently (I play to hdp 26). 

But, for some reason, the dreaded fat shot started to creep into my game again (amongst other problems) the week before the tournament and I was rather concerned. Went to the range once during the mid week to try and sort it out but the problems were still apparent. 

There was a good turn out totaling 20 flights.

When Saturday morning came, the morning rain and grey overcast set the tone of what was to come.


I was grouped together with our resident pros, Edwin, Daryck and Ski and our shot gun start meant we would tee off from hole 2 on the Mountain 9. 

Suffice to say, it was a day where nothing went right and one I would rather forget. I ended up playing a deflating score of 101 (+5). 

Driving was inconsistent (On 3 holes, my 1st drive went out of bounds), iron play was rubbish (I was hitting it fat even with my trusty PW), duffing chips and putts were wayward. What disappointed me was knowing I could have played much better. Cest'la vie.

On the upside, we had a lot of fun joking around and teasing about winning the cattle worth RM4,500.00 (which was one of the hole-in-one prizes, I kid you not) 

But all wasn't too bad. One of our kakis, Lee Lee managed to play 3 under and grabbed 6th prize in the nett score category so there was plenty of cheering from our table during the prize presentation. 

Post tournament, I sort-of know what went wrong with the swing and have been spending the last two evenings hitting those practice golf balls in the garden. If I am right, I should see significant improvement the next time I am on the course.

In other news, only 9 more days to the CIMB Classic!

No comments:

Post a Comment