For the uninitiated the term "Kaki" literally means "Leg" in the Malaysian Language or Bahasa Malaysia. Colloquially, Kaki-Golf, refers to a person who plays (in this case, love) Golf.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Axglo Trilite 3 Wheel Golf Trolley : On course review! (UPDATED : With Clicgear Comparison)

UPDATED : 13.01.2015 (With Clicgear Comparison) Scroll below!
 
Finally had the chance to take the Axglo Trilite to the course. So how did it fare? For the purposes of review, I will score the Trilite in the following criterias, Innovation, Visual Appeal, Performance and Value at the end.

Innovation:

I was in the market for a compact 3/4 wheel trolley. The Trilite when folded, was compact enough to fit into the boot together with my stand bag so that was a big plus (I drive a hatch back so the boot isn't too big and I wasn't keen on putting the trolley in the back seat after the round).


Some key Product Specifications here:
  • Patented Glide – Folding / Unfolding Mechanism.
  • Unique gliding system design that completely eliminates the occurrence of scratches to the body frame when opening and closing of the push cart.
  • When folded the cart measures 28″ x 17″ x 11″, small compact size that makes it easy to carry or store away.
  • The use of high strength industrial material gives a firm solid structure to the cart’s body and parts.
  • Aircraft grade aluminum build with thickness of 1.5mm and above provides the golf cart with higher durability.
  • Bag holding rack supports most golf bags of different sizes with adjustable bag strap to secure the golf bag.
  • Adjustable handles to suit each user’s preference.
  • Simple engage and release hand brake system.
  • Large capacity console for storage of personal effects, golf balls, and other accessories.
  • Maintenance free and airless wheels.
Took it out of the boot and it was really easy to unfold (see vid below).




So far so good.


Visual Appeal:


Seriously, what's there not to like about the Trilite visually? The Trilite comes in a modern design and is available in a number of fresh colors. 

When unfolded the word 'sturdy' springs to mind and although subjective, I personally think that it looks good. 

Performance:

For starters, the Trilite was easy to unfold and assemble. I was able to unfold it single handed (with my foot on the footstep of course)

Took out the stand bag and then placed it on the trolley.

Very nice fit and the straps kept the bag safely secure. The bag rack should have no problems securing a cart bag but I wanted to keep it light. (I have used it with my cart bag and had no issues)

I have read some comments online that on a very windy day, with a cart bag and the umbrella up, the cart could flip over. I suppose that's where a 4 wheel trolley would be sturdier but I doubt that we will see such windy days here in Kuching anyway.



The foam padded handle bar is adjustable and very simple to use. Set it to your desired height and lock the clip.



There is a storage console near the handle bar with enough space and was deep enough for a valuables pouch, handphone, balls or what have you. Convenient if you need to check or answer your phone, so you don't have to keep rummaging through your golf bag. The cover of the storage console is secured with two magnet bits and there are tee holders too. Beneath the console are two netted compartments for your score card or balls for instance.



On the side of the storage console is the simple hand brake system. Push the lever down to brake and then up to release. This was very useful indeed. I don't always find myself on the fairway and it really helped when I was pushing the trolley along uneven terrain, up and down slopes. Simply apply the brake when you want to take your shot and you won't have to worry about the trolley 'running' off.



The trolley itself was light, sturdy and the foam padded handle bar was easy to push around. It had just rained and the big wheels made it a breeze to roll smoothly through the wet fairway, rough and patches of muddy grass. 

Although there are two minor design 'comments' I would make. Firstly, I would have liked a clip of some sort on the storage console cover to hold the score card and perhaps an extra compartment like the Sun Mountain Micro Cart (but that is a 4 wheel cart and I haven't seen other 3 wheelers with an additional compartment anyway). 




Photo taken from my Golfspy.

The Trilite comes also with a beverage holder which hangs on by the side of the trolley and an adjustable umbrella holder which 'screws' into the handle bar. Didn't have to use both this time round but nice to have for future use. (I have since used the umbrella holder on several occasions and it is a must have accessory on any trolley)

When it came time to clean the trolley, all I had to do was hose it down (even easier with the water jet spray at the club) and the wheels (ridges and rim) were easy to clean. 

Value:

I was hoping to find a compact 3/4 wheel trolley below the price of RM500.00 (About USD$145.00). I managed to find one for RM490.00 so I was pleased it ticked the 'budget' box.


On to the ratings and score.

Kaki-Golf Rating:


Innovation - 4/5
Visual appeal - 4/5 

Performance - 4/5  
Value - 5/5 
 
Total Score - 17/20




Conclusion:



Overall, I thought the Trilite really performed to my expectations and I have no regrets with the purchase. An additional storage space and scorecard holder on the console cover (minor comments) would have given it a perfect score in my books. 

Quite curious now to check out the Clicgear and see just how good it is. Until then, another video!~


 


UPDATE : 13.01.2015

I have noticed from the visitor log that this entry receives a fair share of hits. So here's an over-due update.




A friend of mine has the Clicgear 3.0 and I have also had a look at the Clicgear 3.5+. Off the bat, both trolleys fold to a compact shape for easy storage. Unfolded, the Clicgear to me, looks the bigger / bulkier of the two.

The Clicgear 3.5+ weighs 18 pounds (8.16kg) while the Axglo weighs 12 pounds (5.44kg). So about 6 pounds (2.7kg) in difference.

The notable thing for me was that all three wheels on the Clicgear 3.5+ are big. More importantly the lead wheel is bigger then that of the Axglo, so the Clicgear 3.5+ was sturdier and easier to push around.

Visually (and personally), the Clicgear looks very modern and is very well designed making it a tad more appealing then the Axglo. So I have revised the score of the Axglo accordingly.

Now, if you are an accessory nut, then you won't go wrong with the Clicgear. There are a ton of accessories and add-ons such as a cooler bag, shoe brush attachment and even a nifty seat just to mention a few. Full range here.    

So overall, the Clicgear in my opinion edges the Axglo as the better, albeit heavier trolley.

BUT, bear in mind that the Clicgear will cost you more. Alot MORE

Last I checked, the Clicgear 3.5+ retailed for a hefty price of RM1,200.00 (USD$340.00). Even assuming you get a store discount of say 20% (RM960.00) that's still almost double the price of what I paid for the Axglo.

At the end of the day, both are good trolleys that serve their purpose. So the question really is how much are you willing to fork out? 

19 comments:

  1. Thank you. this was just the comparative review I was looking for. I have been torn between the Axglo, Clicgear 3.5+ and the Stewart R1. It's clear that whatever the Axglo loses in accessories, design or innovation (the Stewart has a very clever mechanism), it makes up for in spades with its price. I can get it off hotgolfuk on ebay for £119 and that includes drinks holder, umbrella holder and travel carry case.
    So thank you for your comparative review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad the review helped!

      If price is a consideration, the Axglo is certainly the best choice. I walk the course 3 times a month at the most, so really couldn't justify purchasing the clicgear (as nice as it was)

      I haven't seen the Stewart R1 up close before but it does look very well designed too. Weighs abit heavy at 8.1kg though (like the Clicgear)

      Delete
  2. I exactly got what you mean, thanks for posting. And, I am too much happy to find this website on the world of Google. Best 3-Wheel Walkers

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first time visit to your blog and I am very interested in the articles that you serve. Provide enough knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful and don't forget, keep sharing useful info: Best 3-Wheel Electric Scooters 2018

    ReplyDelete
  4. An author must have a vast knowledge of vocabulary. The dictionary of a writer must be full of new english vocabulary to make their work more attractive. Use of new words makes their work more valuable and graceful.
    รถเข็นไฟฟ้าพับได้

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enthusiastic words written in this blog helped me to enhance my skills as well as helped me to know how I can help myself on my own. I am really glad to come at this platform.
    รถเข็นไฟฟ้า ราคาถูก

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometime few educational blogs become very helpful while getting relevant and new information related to your targeted area. As I found this blog and appreciate the information delivered to my database.
    รถเข็นไฟฟ้าพับได้

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the first time I came to this blog and I found some relevant stuff here. Basically I keen to know new parameters of writing every-time and sometime it become really very hard to find such kind of platform.
    รถเข็นไฟฟ้า ราคา

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy to found this blog. I have some facts related to this blog and I would like to share with all its readers. Definitely it is going to help everyone and aware people with some more knowledgeable points.
    วีลแชร์ไฟฟ้า

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! It looks like the writer of this blog is really very professional because I never read such kind of writing before. The way of writing and the way of using right words on right place shows some expert skills
    รถเข็นไฟฟ้า ราคา

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me and my team was in search of a rarely found platform which can help us for our new assignment. We are writers and its been a long time we are in this writing field. So we would appreciate help of this blog.
    เครื่อง เชื่อม

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mesmerized article written on this blog with other relevant information. It is straight to the point that how we can improve our skills as well as how we can be represented to a new stream of professionalism.
    เครื่อง เชื่อม ไฟฟ้า

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometime few educational blogs become very helpful while getting relevant and new information related to your targeted area. As I found this blog and appreciate the information delivered to my database.
    วีลแชร์ไฟฟ้า

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found this blog after a long time which is really helpful to let understand different approaches. I am going to adopt these new point to my career and thankful for this help.
    นาฬิกา Armani

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am truly inspired by this online journal! Extremely clear clarification of issues is given and it is open to every living soul. I have perused your post, truly you have given this extraordinary informative data about it.
    ตู้ เชื่อม inverter

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for this good information that always need for golf master. see here my resources

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think Axglo Trilite is much better than the Clicgear. First, Trilite is much lighter. The difference can be felt when you carry the trolley from your store room to the car. Second, when you reach the golf club, you just want briefly to unfold the trolley, load the bag, and head to the tee box. It is much easier to do so with the Trilite. The same applies after golfing. It just needs about two steps to fold the Trilite as compared to the Clicgear, which needs a couple more steps. Third, like you mentioned, the Trilite is nearly half the price of the Clicgear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still think the clicgear is slightly easier to push around because of the wheel size. But I do agree that it's easier to fold and carry the Axglo. Both are good trolleys (I am still using my Axglo after all these years). Either way, it really comes down to what you are in the market for and budget.

      Delete