For the uninitiated the term "Kaki" literally means "Leg" in the Malaysian Language or Bahasa Malaysia. Colloquially, Kaki-Golf, refers to a person who plays (in this case, love) Golf.

Saturday, April 19, 2014

SCC Match Play : Day 1

It was storming in the early morning today and was still drizzling by the time I made my way to the course. Good thing it cleared before we teed off.  Had a decent night of sleep and was all revved to go. It was going to be a good day of golf, or so I thought. 

Our team (clad in red) had the first tee time of 7.00am and kicked off at the back nine (Jungle Nine). First two singles, followed by the 1st, 2nd and 3rd doubles (4 balls). 



I was paired with Gerald today and we filled in the slot for the 3rd double. Gerald's drive found the right side off the fairway and was safe. I stepped up to the teebox and teed up with my hybrid as I usually do and found the right side off the fairway and it too looked safe. All seemed well, but for some reason, we couldn't find my ball. We concluded that it must have found its way into the hazard on the right side (unlikely and unlucky) and I took a drop. 

Taking my third on this tricky par 4, I opt for the safe play and lay up. As I took my shot, my eyes were tracking my ball as it took flight and to my horror, it took a nasty bounce off the buggy track as it landed and veered towards the hazard again! Tragedy. Another drop, and finally on the green in 5. 2 putts more and I card an ugly 7. Horrible start. Thankfully everyone else made bogey and we were all square at the first. 

Suffice to say, the first hole pretty much set the tone of the day and I struggled to stay in contention. A few holes were good but my game has been haunted with inconsistency of late and it's made for challenging golf. Good thing my partner was in fine form, carding a number of pars at crucial moments. Even then, we only managed to finish the game square (no thanks to me). Much to our chagrin, we were the only group to do so as Team TPG 2, romped to a 4 - 0 victory. 

In spite of the result, I have to say, I did enjoy myself and it was an exciting experience playing matchplay golf. Playing with Gerald as a duo for the first time was just as fun. Helping each other read putting lines, fist bumps and encouragement were the order of the day. 

It also helps that our opponents, Ng and Nandong though formidable were very friendly and jovial. So it made for a fun and competitive atmosphere.

Oh and a good lunch always helps to soothe the pain.

So, to the losers pool we go where we will face off against team Spartan tomorrow. Victory will ensure we move on to the next round. I won't be in the line up due to another engagement, but I will be dropping by to support the boys. Tough day today but we learn to laugh at ourselves and rest to fight another day. Hopefully tomorrow will be much better for the team. 

It's Go Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment