For the uninitiated the term "Kaki" literally means "Leg" in the Malaysian Language or Bahasa Malaysia. Colloquially, Kaki-Golf, refers to a person who plays (in this case, love) Golf.

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Wedge Play : Digger, Sweeper / Slider, the right bounce for you?

Loft and bounce. They're just numbers right? Wrong...

I have to be honest. I really didn't know what 'bounce' was and how it related to my short game, until I rekindled my love for Golf last year. Essentially, there are two type of short game players. The 'Digger' and the 'Slider'. The kind of player you are and the gear you use will really have an impact on your game.

This Golf Digest article is a good write up on 'bounce'  and if you want to know the difference between a digger / slider, don't know the importance of having the right gear or have never been fitted for your wedges, definitely have a read of this brilliant article on "The 5-minute wonder wedge fitting" posted on MyGolfSpy. Titleist also have a very helpful write up on wedge selection, here.  

But if you're too lazy to read it (tsk, tsk) then keep this helpful and simple tip in mind. "The Basic Rule Of Wedge Fitting: sliders need less bounce and diggers need more bounce."

Speaking of wedges, I have had my Callaway X-Series Jaws sand wedge for almost two years now and it's served me well. The grooves are quite worn so I felt it was time for a replacement.

So I rang up Pan-West and asked if they had the Mackdaddy 2 wedges in stock. Made an order for the 56* with 10 degree bounce (am a digger, so need a higher bounce) and it came within a week. Say welcome to the new Mackdaddy 2. For RM370.00 I thought it was reasonable. Was tempted to give the new Vokey SM5 wedges a try but decided to keep it in the family. 

Sweet chrome finish.





Interesting to note that "Designed by Roger Cleveland" is imprinted on the wedge and it seems, the folks at Cleveland Golf weren't too pleased and decided to sue Callaway for the alleged misuse of the Cleveland name. Yikes!

UPDATE : 20/5/2014

Took the Mackdaddy 2 to the Damai Golf and Country Club last Saturday and boy, I was mighty impressed. Sure the bunkers at DGCC were fluffy and whilst I am no expert in bunker shots, the Mackdaddy made it really easy to get out of the sand. Really felt in control of the club head and the spin I get on the ball, woa! Tempted now to get one in 52*. Will try out the new Titleist SM5s when I get the chance to compare.


No comments:

Post a Comment